Friday, December 17, 2010

Amarilis Dip

From this week: sour cream, celery

From weeks past: carrots, parmesan cheese

Staples: salt

My mom's a great cook. While I was growing up, she made fabulous dinners every night (well, except for that one-time Italian Extravaganza gone wrong), which we always ate as a family, gathered around the dining room table. I know I got the cooking bug from her, and most of my best-loved meals come from her repertoire.

My favorite childhood food memory, though, would not pass muster at Ames's dinner table. My sister and I had a long-time babysitter from El Salvador named Amarilis, and on half days or snow days or any sort of day when we were home for lunch, she would make us homemade tortillas. And serve them with canned green beans. Which we dipped in this.


I know, I know, my high-class taste is intimidating. But I dare you to try this and tell me it's not awesome. Cool, salty, creamy with a little bit of texture.


For me, it's like a time machine. It takes me back to the days of cut up hot dogs, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, American cheese, and canned green beans.

Oh yeah, and those homemade tortillas were pretty good too.


Amarilis Dip
Makes a snack for 1

2 heaping tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
pinch of salt

Mix it all together. Serve as dip for carrots or celery... or canned green beans.

1 comment:

  1. Um, yes. Yes mam. Homemade tortillas + this dip = MUST be fantastic!

    Sometimes I find that I'll have leftover celery after a dish, and I'm not very good at eating it without some kind of dip. I gotta try this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete